Can I personalize my desktop?
No. Unfortunately in the shared environment the background is standardized and you will not be able to change your desktop background.
Can I only access my Hosted Desktop through a Thin Client?
No. You can access your Hosted Desktop from any device with an internet connection by going to the web address provided to you by VC3 or listed on your VC3 Support page.
Will my data and files in my Hosted Desktop be backed up?
Yes. VC3 will backup all your data to an offsite location.
Are there applications that will not work in my Hosted Desktop?
Certain applications may not perform to their full potential in your Hosted Desktop, such as AutoCad, video editing software or other similarly graphically-intensive applications.
How do I save my document as a PDF?
In your Microsoft Office applications you have the built in option to Save As a PDF.
- Click on File>Save As and type in the file name that you want your document to have.
- In the “Save as Type” under the file name, select PDF. (This will save a copy of your document as a PDF. If you need to make changes to the document after this point, go back to the original Microsoft Office version and make your changes and then either save as a PDF with the same name to overwrite the document or save as a new name to save a new copy of the PDF.)
How do I share documents with users that don’t have Office 2010?
Microsoft Office 2010 files can be opened by users in Office 2007 without a problem. If you are trying to share documents with users that have Microsoft Office 2003 or older you will need to convert your document to an older format. To convert a document to an older file type, follow these steps:
- Click File in the top left.
- Click Save As.
- Enter the file name and in the drop down box for “Save as Type” select an older version, for example “Word 97-2003 Document”.
- Click Save.
Now you can send this file to people using older versions of Office. If you want to send a document through e-mail you can use the File>Save and Send option. This gives you the choice to “Send as Attachment” or even “Send as PDF”.
Will I be able to connect my USB flash drive to the Thin Client?
Yes, there are four USB ports on the Thin Clients. However, your device will need to be formatted as “FAT32”. To see if your device is formatted correctly, connect it to your computer, go to “My Computer”, click on the device icon and check the “File system” status.
What if I use iTunes on my current workstation for work related purposes only?
You will need to move your iTunes to the iCloud. For more information on how to do this please visit the link below for instructions. http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html
What do I need to do to prepare for my Hosted Desktop?
- Move personal pictures, music, and files.
- Delete unnecessary files.
- If you have an application that you are unsure is being moved to your Hosted Desktop, ask the pilot user in your department.
- If you have a question about your printer or scanner, consult your supervisor.
- ASK QUESTIONS!
Will I need to configure my Outlook?
Yes. The first time you open Outlook in your Hosted Desktop, you will be given a series of prompts that will assist
What do I need to do if Internet Explorer freezes?
First, you will need to save all of your work (Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, etc.). Then try logging out of your Hosted Desktop and logging back in. If you are still experiencing issues with Internet Explorer, contact the VC3 Service Desk by calling 800-422-5941.